Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Moving forward

*original writing 10/28/10

Most of my planning for creating the tubes is done and now I am moving onto creating the code for controlling the LED's through an Arduino. I still have to determine how many LED's I can control through one Arduino since I want to have at least five LED's per vacuum tube. I'm pretty sure if I use resistors then I should be ok, though I will be plugging these into a wall socket in order to power them in the final setup I still want to be safe and not burnout anything that might cost me $$$ to replace (mainly the Arduino's). I am also going to go to TAPS plastics to see about having some plexiglass tubes made along with top and bottom pieces. I can glue them together myself and am fairly certain I can cut holes into the bottoms of each one. I also need to go to a Home Dept/OSH to find some 6" +/- wide planter buckets, And dowels, I need to get me some dowels. And as a last thought the first thing I should do is go get some prices!



Above is a test idea for how the images will be placed inside the vacuum tubes. I'm not set on this I just wanted to get an idea of how much space I have to work with and the lengths of the wires I will need to connect the LED's to the Arduino boards. I'll probably pick up some wood screws and washers, I think those would be much better to use to connect the socket plugs to the socket bases as well as the center dowel I'll be using to hold up the pictures.

The total height of each tube should com to around 20" with a width of 12" at the widest part. The box is 30" x 23" x 8" and with the vacuum tubes hanging over a bit it should be no more than 35" x 26" x 24" (that should be width, depth and height) overall once all the pieces are assembled.

No comments:

Post a Comment