Friday, April 23, 2010

More research, different routes

I've been looking through the Wikipedia page on found art and the artists listed there, I know, not the academically preferred site though I trust it enough that I feel comfortable using it. Listed below are some of the artists I found to be interesting in either the way they worked (beliefs/ideals, method) or in what they used in making their pieces. I've got about 16 more to go although Micheal Craig Martin might make the list after I do some more reading about him, I like his style and how he goes about creating, I just want to look at more of his works first.



Arman - accumulation of vast quantities of the same objects
Greg Colson - work in general, theme of the ordinary and the rejected
Joseph Cornell - the box assemblages using found art that "combines the formal austerity of Constructivism with the lively fantasy of Surrealism", and the use of themes in creating the various series of boxes
Tony Cragg - the view he has of materials, the underlying meanings associated with them
Marcel Duchamp - I find most of his work inspirational so I'm sure there is influence from him in this project somewhere
Tom Friedman - use of everyday objects in making geometric forms got my attention, not sure if this is going be relevent to what I plan to work on, maybe I can fit something in

 Based on what I've read so far and my own thoughts and ideas I think I will create sculptures based on a piece I made a few years ago. I don't have a picture handy so I will describe it as best I can. The piece consists of a 12" x 12" (approx.) piece of foam board with vacuum tubes arranged on it in such a way that it looks like four of them are viewing the scene of a violent crime, there is a fifth vacuum tube lying in the middle surrounded by broken pieces of red plastic creating what looks like a pool of blood.
Once I am done researching various artists and writing down a concise statement in regards to my project I plan on posting a request on various networking sites to get images and objects to begin creating works based on what I have come up with so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment